Make soup your new best friend this winter!
Eating soup is a simple way to get vegetables into your diet. Coming down with the sniffles? Studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken soup may help you to clear nasal congestion and have a mild anti-inflammatory effect.
Skinny chicken fajita soup: This is a delicious low-carb recipe for a low-fat, gluten-free meal. Plus, it is easy to make.
1 lb chicken breasts
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
15-oz can black beans, drained
15-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 fajita seasoning packet
Possible garnishes: Reduced-fat shredded cheese, scallions, and avocado
- Place a large 6- to 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add oil, chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, fajita seasoning packet, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
- Once you’ve shredded the chicken, add it back into the soup. Salt and pepper as desired.
30-minute turkey meatball and kale soup: This hearty and healthy recipe is tasty and easy to fit into your busy schedule.
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg, whipped
2-4 tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
2 tbsp fresh herbs (parsley, basil, dill, or cilantro) or 1/2 tsp dried herbs
3/4 tsp salt
Several grinds of fresh black pepper
2 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, diced
4 large carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
6 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
For garnish: chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, dill, or cilantro), or
red pepper flakes
- Combine turkey meat, egg, flour, garlic, salt, and herbs into a large bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Roll small balls, about 1½ inches. (You’ll get about 24-26 meatballs.)
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Cook meatballs for 3-4 minutes, until all sides are brown. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add bay leaves, broth, and meatballs. Bring to a boil, turn down heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add kale and cook until meatballs are cooked through—about 5-7 minutes.
Skinny tomato basil soup: This is a skinnier version of the traditional tomato basil soup, but it tastes the same!
2 stalks celery, rough chopped
1 small onion, rough chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp butter
3 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1 14.5-oz can chicken broth or 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillons
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 8-oz low-fat Neufchatel cream cheese, cubed
1 tbsp sugar or agave
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, add celery, onion, and garlic; pulse until small pieces or pureed.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Pour into pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until fragrant (don’t wash container).
- Add tomatoes, broth, and basil to pot; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot and reduce to medium low; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Carefully pour 1 cup hot soup into blender or food processor, add cubed cream cheese, and blend on high until smooth.
- Stir cream cheese mixture into soup, add sugar or agave, add salt and pepper to taste.
* If you prefer a completely smooth soup, process it through blender or food processor in batches.
Healthy kale and cauliflower soup: This soup is low-calorie, gluten-free and fat-free, and it comes together in about 20 minutes.
1 large white or yellow onion, diced (390g)
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium carrots (175g, approx. 1.5 cups chopped)
1 tsp each dried parsley and ground thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 cups vegetable stock
1 head cauliflower (775g, approx. 7 cups chopped)
4 cups kale, lightly packed, chopped, de-stemmed (120g)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a few splashes of vegetable stock until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, parsley, and thyme. Cook a few more minutes, adding a bit more stock, if needed, so it doesn’t stick.
- Add vegetable stock and chopped cauliflower.
- Simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Place about three-quarters of the soup into a blender, leaving some pieces of carrot and cauliflower behind so it will be somewhat chunky.
- Process until smooth, and pour the blended soup back into the pot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in chopped kale. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.