You might normally celebrate the holiday season indoors with your family, but you don’t have to let the cold weather prevent you from staying active. Keep your family entertained and energetic during the winter with these outdoor activities to enjoy a healthy, happy holiday:
- Light displays: Witness the sweetest place on Earth transforming into a showcase of lights during Hersheypark’s Christmas Candylane event on select days through January 1. Or, visit Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, as Philly’s favorite conservatory hosts the beauty of France’s Versailles. If you can’t travel for the holidays, walk around the neighborhood with your family to check out house decorations and enjoy the scenery; this simple activity can burn up to 186 calories per 30 minutes.
- Camping: There’s no better way to enjoy the winter than camping in a cozy cabin. These homey destinations allow you to admire the beautiful forests of Pennsylvania while spending time with your loved ones. Head outside for a hike and remember to bundle up! Find a cottage or lodge at http://visitpa.com/pa-cabins.
- Ice skating: Partake in winter’s fondest tradition of ice skating with family and friends to burn up to 311 calories per hour. Master your skills at the Blue Cross RiverRink, Philadelphia’s largest outdoor ice skating rink. The Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest—which runs until March 4—will hold its opening weekend Nov. 24, featuring family-friendly activities such as LEGO building with ColonialLUG, claymation with The Clay Studio, face painting and circus arts. Visit this eastern Pennsylvania rink, or enjoy the best ice skating facilities in Pittsburgh to stay healthy this winter.
- Lighting ceremonies: These traditional celebrations are a perfect time to get into the holiday spirit and mingle with family, friends, and locals — not to mention you can burn nearly 200 calories while walking at a nearby menorah or tree-lighting ceremony.
- Family caroling: Spread holiday cheer and carol in your neighborhood or even in a nursing home. According to Health.com, you can shed 136 calories per hour by singing holiday tunes. Use this Nursing Care Facility Locator to find the nearest destination to organize your next caroling trip!
- Volunteering at a food bank/soup kitchen: Find a local facility at Pennsylvania Emergency Food Programs’ website.