During the summer, nothing tastes better than a refreshing frozen treat. So why not enjoy a popsicle with your furry friends? Here are some of our favorite frozen treats for our four-legged family members.
- PB and fruit dog treat. Blend one cup of peanut butter and two cups of water, and pour into a Bundt cake pan. Add a half-cup of flax seeds and mixed berries. Freeze, and then let your dogs go wild! They’ll love this frozen ring.
- Pup-kin dog treats. Blend one can of pumpkin with a cup of plain yogurt, one teaspoon of honey and one banana until smooth. Spoon into ice cube trays. Freeze until solid, then serve.
- Frozen apple treats. Slice and core two apples, and put them in the blender. Add a cup of plain Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of water. Blend until smooth, and freeze. Pups will go crazy for this simple treat!
- Frozen egg-cellent treats. This is a bit out of the box, but your dog will love it. Blend an egg or two (with the shells) until smooth. Pour blended contents into an ice cube tray, filling up halfway. Freeze until solid, and serve outside for easy cleanup. Feed your pup only one of these per day to ensure proper nutrient absorption.
- Cat cubes. Not only does this qualify as a treat, it’s a toy, too. Mix one can of cat food gravy with a half-cup of water. Pour into an ice cube tray, and freeze until solid. Don’t have wet cat food? Drop a few dry kibbles into the tray before pouring the water. This will give your kitty a reward after waiting for the ice to melt.
- Shaved ice. Place 8-10 ice cubes in the blender, add a half-cup of water, and blend until slushy. Place the slush into a bowl, and freeze for a few minutes. Make it a kitty snow cone by mashing canned tuna onto the top of the snow for an added treat!