What’s Movember All About?
Find out why Movember is “changing the face of men’s health.”
You might spot more mustaches than usual this November, or as it’s known by many mustachioed men, “Movember.” Movember is a movement to talk about men’s health during the month, particularly by encouraging men (and women) to get involved to increase early cancer detection, diagnosis, and treatments, and to reduce the number of preventable deaths. Movember advocates for men to make sure they get annual checkups, become aware of their families’ health histories, and adopt a healthier lifestyle.
- The average life expectancy for men in the United States is almost five years shorter than it is for women (76.2 years compared with 81)
- 12.1% of men 18 years and over are in fair or poor health
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in his lifetime
- 1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
- The risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer increases with age
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in men 15 to 35
Why Prostate Cancer?
According to Movember.com, one in seven men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime, and most prostate cancers develop without men experiencing symptoms in the early stages. Risk factors for prostate cancer are age, family history, and ethnicity. Movember is meant as a time to spread awareness of this deadly disease and to get men involved in and talking more about prostate cancer and their overall health.
Show Your Mo, Spread the Word!
To show our support, and help members of the Healthy Me PA community show theirs, we’ve created a Movember Selfie Kit. Download the PDF, cut out the props, snap a selfie, and share it with your friends and family to get them talking about Movember and men’s health. Make sure to share your photo on our Facebook and Twitter pages. We’ll feature the best photos in an upcoming newsletter!